Thursday, August 4, 2011

Books

I just finished reading The Book Thief.



If you haven't read this book, go out and buy it.  Now.  Stop reading whatever you're reading and get this.

The story is about a girl who is growing up in Nazi Germany.  I know what you're thinking - been there, done that.  I promise you, this book is different.  The narrator is Death.  It is crazy interesting and intriguing.  Death has actual thoughts.  Death has feelings.  About death.  About carrying people's souls on.

But that's not even what makes the book so incredible.  It's the writing.  The author uses amazing imagery.  The similes he choose to use to describe things are just...wow.

"Up high, in the window, her face appeared like a white flag with moist eyes and an open mouth.  Her voice was like suicide, landing with a clunk at Liesel's feet."  -pg.390
Amazing, right?!  I'd love to quote more, but I don't want to give much away.

Please.  Do yourself a favor and read this book.  Give it a chance - it's a little tough in the beginning but it is so so so worth it.

1 comment:

  1. This is on my nightstand right now. I have to finish The second and third Hunger Games books first then I plan to read it.

    ReplyDelete