Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Do-It-Myself

This past weekend my mom and I started shopping for my various DIY project materials. We are going to make our programs, table place cards, and table numbers. I'm really excited, especially about the programs. And the place cards.

The programs are going to be a fan, which I think kind of ties in with the peacock feather theme - it fans out like the peacock's tail. So we went out this weekend to get some different weights of cardstock, some eyelets, and a Crop-A-Dile. Here is what I'm attempting to make:

Cute, right? I got the idea and template from Aylee Bits. I found the right weight of cardstock to use, now I just need to order it (cuz what we were able to find at Michael's and Staples were smooth, and I want something with a bit of texture). I also played around with the eyelets and Crop-A-Dile. That thing is super-awesome, and has become my new favorite toy. Matt is really excited cuz it also does snaps on clothing, and he's been bugging me for 2 years to replace a snap on his leather jacket. I can finally do it!

As for the place cards, I came across this idea on Martha Stewart weddings and instantly fell in love:

Remember cootie catchers?!? I thought this was a really great idea for us, because (confession) I probably played with these and included Matt's name in them at some point in my life! As I said once before, we went to the same high school, and I had a massive crush on him my freshman and sophomore years (sadly, after that, he had graduated and was no longer my personal eye candy). And my friends and I were really silly and played games like this, and M.A.S.H and stuff like that. So...I'm pretty sure Matt was one of my destinies at some point! SO...I thought this was just too cute to pass up, as it totally brings me back to my high school crush days! We are making enough for each guest/couple, and will insert a name card into each one so people know where to sit at the reception. I thought about putting the names and table assignments on the outer corners, until my mom pointed out that that would mean I couldn't print (and therefore assemble) them until right before the wedding...I really don't want to be folding 90 cootie catchers in the days before the wedding! Also, we're putting trivia about us on each section, and then on the very inside will be our menu! I found that extra idea here. I can't wait to play with it and have fun coming up with trivia...and quizzing Matt! Ha ha.

The other DIY we're doing are the table numbers themselves. Since we're having the reception at the Antique Auto Museum, I initially wanted to go to the museum and take pictures of different cars and name the tables after each car. But then I thought that might get too complicated and look too busy on the tables. So instead, I'm doing a simple card with a ribbon and a peacock feather. Should be pretty easy. But classy.

Like I said, Mom and I did some shopping this weekend, and I am gong to order the cardstock this week. I'm really anxious to get started on them (especially the programs) so that we're not rushing to do them last-minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment