Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Say A Prayer...

I apologize.  This is not a fun post.  But I promised to bring you my life, and this is my life at the moment.

When I was in high school and just graduated, Hershey experienced a lot of loss.  Of young lives.  Between 1997 and 1999, 5 kids were killed in car accidents.  It was a rough couple of years.  The high school and the town were profoundly affected.  As a high school kid, it's so hard to understand how this happens.  Why this happens.  People walked around like zombies.  The funerals were absolute nighmares.  I will never forget it.

On Sunday morning, a high school near Hershey lost 4 kids in a car accident.  I cannot even imagine what those students and faculty must be feeling.  It's so tragic.  So senseless.  My heart aches for everyone in that school district. 

I can't stop thinking about the students that Hershey lost and how difficult those times were.  But the school pulled together.  For a few days, there were no cliques.  There was just a student body, grieving together.  Leaning on each other for support.  Crying together in the hallways.  I pray that Manheim Central can do the same.  They will need each other. 

Every time I drive by the spots where those students were killed, I blow a kiss and say a prayer.  Still.  It's been over 10 years.  And yet, to this day, the community of Hershey misses each of them.  Every day.  It will feel the same for Manheim. 

The students, faculty, and families of Manheim Central are in my thoughts and prayers today.  May they all find strength in each other to remember the smiles of their friends and concentrate on the good memories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment