Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Dinner Time!

So I love to cook.  I'm not sure if I've mentioned that before.  I like to try different recipes and make yummy, nutritious food for me and Matt.  So tonight, I tried dijon and hazlenut crusted pork tenderloin with brown rice and brussel sprouts.  Mmmm...

So I bought a Hatfield port tenderloin at the store.  Sprinkled it with a little salt and pepper, then put it in a frying pan and browned it.  While it was browning I mixed together:

1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
~3 Tablespoons chopped hazelnuts
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon salt

I put those 4 ingredients in our food processor and pulsed till the hazelnuts were finely chopped.  Then I mixed 2 egg whites and about a Tablespoon of dijon mustard.  I spread the dry mix onto one plate, then put the egg white and mustard mix into a shallow dish.  I took the tenderloin out of the pan and let it cool for a minute or so, then dredged it in the egg mixture then into the dry mix.  I put it on broiler pan (sprayed with cooking spray) and cooked it for about 30 minutes at 400 degrees.

While that was cooking, I added 1/2 cup red cooking wine, 1 1/2 Tablespoons flour, 1/4 cup beef broth, a dash each of thyme, salt, and pepper to the pan I'd used to brown the tenderloin (without washing it).  Brought it to a boil then let it cook until it was the right consistency.  You can choose whatever consistency you want - I made mine about the consistency of ranch dressing.

I cheated on the rice and veggies - used the steam-in-the-bag brussel sprouts and the Uncle Ben quick-cook rice.  But it was delicious.




*all personal photos

No comments:

Post a Comment