Monday, February 21, 2011

I Wish I Had...

Don't get me wrong.  Our wedding day was fantastic.  Best day of my life thus far.  It wasn't perfect, but it was pretty freaking close.  There are just a few things I wish I had done/said/fought for that, looking back now, certainly doesn't make or break the day or the memories, but still...

First up.  Music selections.  I really wish that I had pushed a little bit harder to be able to just use an iPod or something for the ceremony.  We hired the organist from the church, and he did a great job, but classical organ music is not very "us."  I would've chosen things like Joshua Radin's "They Bring Me to You" to walk down the aisle to.  And Jason Mraz's "Lucky" for the recessional.  Stuff that fits our personalities a bit better.

Kind of along the same lines, I would've hired a videographer.  My step-dad recorded the entire ceremony and most of our first dance, plus a few other random moments.  And I'm absolutely thrilled that we have it.  But I would kill to see video of our wedding party entering the reception - everyone did their own thing and I have no idea what most of them did because we couldn't see them.  I also wish I had video of my dance with my father and of doing the special line dance with all my best girlfriends. 

I also would've asked David to save us a few slices of wedding cake.  And some of the hors d'oevres.  Matt and I were so busy taking pictures that we didn't get a single one of our cocktail foods...and I was looking forward to those the most!  I would have asked David to box something up for us. 

I wish I would've tried harder to convince Matt to do a first look.  Not only because of time issues (maybe then we could've had some of our cocktail food!) but also because I would have loved a few moments alone with him before the ceremony.  I think it would have calmed us both down a little. 

And I have admit, I'm a little disappointed in our photographers.  The pictures we got are great, and I love what we have, but I wish they would've capture more of the moments of the day.  There is only one photo of my dad walking me down the aisle, and only one photo of Matt and I walking back up the aisle, newly married.  There are no pictures of Matt's reaction to me coming down the aisle.  We dismissed our guests from the church, row by row, which would've been a great opportunity to get photos of our guests, but the photographers were nowhere to be found.  Same with during cocktail hour.  We had two photographers, and one was with us, so...where was the other one? 

But, even still, when all was said and done, it was a great day and a beautiful wedding and a super-fun reception.  But if I could go back and re-create it to be everything I wanted, I would change those things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment