Thursday, December 30, 2010

This Is Harder Than I Thought

I signed on for this Reverb project thinking I'd easily be able to stay with it.  And come up with really deep, creative insights about my 2010.  Yeah, um...who was I kidding?  It's really hard to come up with answers to some of these things!  It's even harder to come up with answers and blog about them while the hustle of the holidays is happening around you.  Seriously.  You should try it.  Anyway, onward...

Day Twenty-Two - Travel - How did you travel in 2010?  How and/or where would you like to travel next year?  (Author: Tara Hunt)

Obviously, we went on our honeymoon.  Recaps coming after the holidays.  Promise.

Day Twenty-Six - Soul Food - What did you eat this year that you will never forget?  What went into your mouth and touched your soul? (Author: Elise Marie Collins)

Ok, technically, it's not 2010, but it was 10pm on New Year's Eve, and I was eating up to almost midnight, so I'm using it.  Our dinner at Del Frisco's on New Year's Eve last year.  Oh.  Em.  Gee.  Best meal I've ever had.  EVER.  We started off with a crab cake appetizer that was...well, it was the best crab cake I've ever eaten.  It was covered in some sort of lobster sauce and...wow.  Then we got steaks - I had the filet mignon, medium rare.  It was perfect.  Seriously, absolutly perfect.  I've never had a steak cooked so perfectly.  And seasoned so perfectly.  We also ordered two sides - lobster macaroni and cheese and some sort of spinach dish.  Both were just incredible.  I still have fantasies about that lobster mac and cheese.  My sweet BM Nicole got us a gift card for Del Frisco as a wedding gift, so we can't wait to go back and indulge ourselves again. Oh, and also - they have a wine list that is about 30 pages long, and range in price from $30 to $4800 (yes, that's four thousand).

Day Thirty - Gift - What's the most memorable gift, tangible or emotional, you received this year?

My suprise bridal shower was absolutely incredible.  My mom, MOH/sister, BMs, and BM Abriel's mom, Melinda, went sneaking around behind my back to plan a beautiful shower for me.  The funniest part was, at the same time, I was planning BM Abriel's baby shower!  Apparently, they had already started planning my shower, when I emailed my mom and told her I'd like to host Abriel's baby shower the same day.  My mom panicked but in speaking to Melinda, they decided they would continue to plan my shower, let me plan Abriel's, and pull off (what they hoped would be) the greatest switcharoo in the history of weddings.  And it worked.  My mom and I went ahead with planning Abriel's shower, and Melinda insisted on "hosting" it out at her house.  I thought it was strange, but I went along with it because, well, you don't argue with Melinda.  The morning of the shower, we stopped by the party supply store to get the baby-themed balloons and paper products we'd ordered, and headed out to Melinda's.  We were supposed to arrive about 30 minutes before the guests, but as we pulled up the driveway, I noticed a lot of people were already there, and thought we were somehow late.  Then I noticed people who shouldn't be at Abriel's baby shower, like my college roommates.  I looked at my mom, said, "Wait....those aren't Abriel's friends....those are MY friends!"  Mom stopped the car and told me that I should get out of the car.  I opened the car door to a chorus of almost all of my favorite people in the world yelling "Surprise!"

Yes, we got a lot of great gifts at the shower.  But the shower itself, and learning about all the trickery and hard work involved in planning and keeping it from me, was really the best gift I got.

No comments:

Post a Comment