Thursday, September 9, 2010

What If...?


When my sister got married, I created an Emergency Kit for her and her bridesmaids. It had a lot of stuff in it, and we didn't use 90% of it, but I felt better just knowing it was there. So, yes, I definitely plan to make one for myself and my girls. I'll also probably make one for the boys, though I'm absolutely certain it'll get "forgotten." That's ok. I'll feel better just knowing it's made. Ha ha. So, what to include? Here's what I had in ours:
  • straws (these were completely useless)
  • baby powder
  • bandaids
  • bandaid blister blocker
  • body tape
  • deodorant (a few miniature ones, in case multiple people needed it)
  • q-tips
  • nail polish remover
  • clear nail polish
  • nail file
  • chalk (to fix dress issues)
  • a small sewing kit
  • hair stuff (bobby pins in blonde and brunette, hair bands, hairspray, comb, brush)
  • lotion
  • mini lint brush
  • Tide pen (a lot of people recommend Shout wipes, but I've found that these stain themselves)
  • tampons, pantyliners, and pads
  • tissues
  • mouthwash
  • pain relievers (Tylenol, Aleve, and Exedrin - you never know who can take what!)
  • tummy relievers (Tums, Lactaid, Zantac)
  • Claritin
Some of this stuff (like the bug spray wipes and Claritin) were specifically because Callie's wedding was outdoors in the summer. The bug spray wipes were the best purchase I made. While we were waiting to head down to the ceremony site, we were waiting in a field, and getting just eaten alive. I had the wipes with me, and it helped immediately! Definitely a must for an outdoor wedding. My dad had gotten some snacks for us. A note to all wanna-be-helpful dads out there - watermelon is not a suitable snack for a woman wearing a white wedding dress!

(me feeding my sister watermelon while she holds a towel up to protect her dress)

The other option he brought us? Cheez-Its. Yes, he's been educated that these are not the best ideas. But, he also brought us bottled waters, which was clutch. And Anthony (Callie's hubby) sent us champagne via Matt. So what about the boys? Well, they'll have a lot of similar stuff, but some different stuff, too (obviously - they don't need tampons!):

  • bandaids
  • breath mints
  • deodorant
  • hair stuff (comb, hairspray, gel)
  • mini lint brush
  • small sewing kit (not that I expect any of them to know how to use this!)
  • extra buttons
  • Tide pen
  • tissues
  • shoe polish wipes
  • pain relievers (Tylenol, ibuprofin, Excedrine)
  • stomach relievers (Tums, Zantac, Lactaid)
I'll also send some food and waters to them. We're not allowed to have alcohol in the church or on the trolley, so no booze will be exchanged. Personally, I think this is a good thing. I've been to too many weddings where the groom and/or groomsmen were absolutely trashed before the ceremony even began. So...what do you think? Anything else I should add?

1 comment: