Friday, October 1, 2010

Must-Play List

Despite having an uber-talented DJ who I'm confident will do an awesome job with our wedding music, I definitely wanted to make sure we provided a list of songs that he absolutely has to play at some point throughout the evening.  Here are the top songs on our must-play list, and why they have to heard!





"Yeah," by Usher.  The summer after I finished grad school, I took off for a month-long trek through Europe.  It was something I'd dreamed of doing for years, and I figured that summer was the time to do it.  I spent a week by myself, and then my sister met up with me in Paris.  Together we travelled around France, Italy, and Spain.  On our second-to-last night (after a harrowing stay in Barcelona during which my passport and credit cards were stolen), we went out to the clubs in Madrid with pretty much everyone in our hostel.  We got to one club and all they played was this thumping techno music by Spanish artists.  We didn't know any of it and weren't having fun, and we were just about ready to walk out.  Then, suddenly, they played this song, and our entire group went NUTS.  It was, hands-down, one of the most fun nights of my life.  Every time I hear it I think of that night and my sister.  [Funny story: once the club realized they'd pleased the Americans, they started playing ridiculous "American" songs, like "Cotton Eyed Joe" and the Grease Medley - it was hilarious]





"Oh, What a Night," by the Four Seasons.  In high school, my girlfriends and I used to go to this dance club every now and then.  Every Friday night, they had high school night, so it's not like we were sneaking in.  But because it was a) in Lancaster, and therefore 45 minutes away, b) in a "bad" part of the city [not really but by our sheltered standars, it was quite dangerous!], and c) a place where we met boys not from Hershey and therefore not approved by our parents...we felt like major bad-asses going to this place.  We learned this line dance to this song and it's been in our repertoire ever since.  Every time one of us gets married, this is a must play, and we take over the dance floor.  That tradition is certainly not ending with my wedding!!





"You Should Be Dancing" or "Stayin Alive," by the Bee Gees.  Matt's brother is a huge fan of disco, the Bee Gees, and this movie.  Every time it gets played at a wedding, he takes over the dance floor and recreates the scene in the movie.  It's hilarious.  Everyone stands around and watches him, and he eats it up.





"Don't Stop Believing," by Journey or the Glee Cast.  Uhhh...hello?  Who doesn't love to belt this one at the top of their lungs?  My preference would be for the Glee version, but that's cuz I'm a huge Gleek.  I realize that it'll probably be the Journey version, but I'm totally ok with that.  I just need to be able to scream it into my beer bottle.





"Werewolves in London," by Warren Zevon.  It's hard to explain this one.  There's a long-standing myth in Matt's family, and this song is at the center of the controversy.  It's an absolute must-play, just for the laughs alone.


So that's it!  A few of the most important must-plays on our list.  I can't wait to party with our guests to all these songs!

No comments:

Post a Comment