Saturday, September 17, 2011

Is it Possible to be Nesting...

When you're not even pregnant?  Maybe it's all the time I've been spending on Pinterest?  I don't know.  I just don't know how to explain it, but I am just completely obsessed with decorating and crafting.  I'm redecorating our entire living room.  And doing it completely DIY.

I've recently been feeling like we need to make our home more "grown up."  We've had photographs on nearly every single surface in our home since we moved in.  Not that I don't love photographs.  But it was starting to feel very dorm room to me.  Not 30-something married couple home.

So, this weekend, while Matt's in Hershey and I'm stuck at home on-call, I took matters into my own hands.  I went to Michael's, Target, and the dollar store, and stocked up on decorations - hurricane glasses, candles, scrapbook paper, canvases, wreaths, flowers, spray paint....all kinds of good stuff.  Wanna see what I've been up to?  I got a lot done today, so I'm super-excited.  Tomorrow, I'll show you what I get done tomorrow.

Up first, a project I worked on a few weeks ago.  My anniversary gift to Matt.  I know that paper is the modern traditional first anniversary gift.  And I was going to go full tradition.  But I fell in love with this idea
from
...and so I'm bending the rule a little.  Technically, I know, canvas is fabric, not paper, but since I painted on it, I treated it like paper, therefore....it's paper.


I painted lyrics from our wedding song on a 12x12 canvas.  12 lines, 1 inch each.  I have just the spot in our bedroom that we'll hang it, too.  I hope he likes it as much as I do.

Ok, so here's what I worked on today.  First up, I really wanted to do something about our door.  We have some seasonal wreaths, but our autumn was is totally falling apart.  I pinned this a few months ago, and finally decided to tackle it.
from
I got the wreath and flowers from Michael's.  And instead of getting numbers, I got a letter.  I don't have the "I" painted yet, but I edited it in so you get the general gist of what I have here.


Ok, next?  We used to have a chalkboard/magnet board/key holder hanging on the wall next to our front door.  I was really starting to hate it.  It looked messy and I just couldn't stand it anymore.  So, after seeing pictures like this on Pinterest...
from
I picked up some scrapbook paper, and dug out some old, unused frames.  I printed out the letters, using various fonts, and attached them to the scrapbook, then threw it in the frame.  I bought the shelf at Target, and the flowers are from our closet.



I really love it.  I sent Matt a photo of it and he's thrilled.  Yay!

Last but not least, our new fall centerpiece.  I totally loved these pictures.
from
from
I got the hurricanes from Michaels and the candles from the dollar store.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find candy corn or whole nuts anywhere (I know, can you believe it?!).  As I wandered around the aisles of Target, I had an epiphany...


Reese's Pieces!  They're automatically fall-colored, and they're made my Hershey!  Bonus!  So I put together this little tablescape, and I really like it.  Tomorrow, I'm going to roll the two brown pillar candles in epsom salt so they get all sparkly and pretty, like this one!
from
One more project that I started today and hope to finish tomorrow.  I'll show you that one soon! 

Have you ever had a transition period in your house?

1 comment:

  1. i think i have liked all those ideas on pinterest, too. LOL the frames and using reese's pieces in the hurricanes are my favorite ideas & i might have to use them, too! : ) well, except, i'm not sure the candies would stay for very long...LOL

    ReplyDelete