Monday, June 21, 2010

The PWC

I've learned recently, in my perusing of the many bridal blogs out there, that many (if not most) brides undergo the PWC shortly after their wedding. What is the PWC, you ask? Why, it's the Post-Wedding Chop! A carefully-planned, long-looked-forward-to haircut that many women "reward" themselves with after months of growing out their hair in order to achieve the perfect updo for their wedding day.

Four months from our wedding day, and I'm already considering mine.

Say you: I thought you already had short hair?
Say me: I do. But I'm considering going a bit shorter. (eek!)

Ok, a bit of history. 2 years ago, I actually did have a PWC - after my sister's wedding. My hair was really long before her wedding. This picture was taken 2 days before her wedding (that's me with my brother-in-law):

I know, right? It was soooooo loooong. I look back at those pictures and I'm shocked. Because now, my hair is like this:

This picture just taken this past weekend, at a friend of mine's baby shower. So 2 years ago, after Callie and Anthony's wedding was all said and done, I set out to chop off my hair. It ended up being about 7 inches, which was (unfortunately) not enough to donate to Locks of Love, but it was enough to cause me sit in the chair right before Rachel snipped it and think, "Oh boy...do I really want to do this?" As soon as it was over, though, I was SO glad I did it!

I love, love, love my short hair. What's even better, is that Matt loves my short hair. Every now and then it gets on my nerves. Like when it's 100 degrees out and it's tsicking to my neck but I can't pull it up because it looks too weird. Or like when the curls don't curl just right and it ends up looking like this weird bumpy mess. Otherwise, I think it's a very flattering style and I had no intention of growing it out.

But then Matt slipped that ring on my finger and all of a sudden it was like "Oh my God, I'm gonna have to get my hair done for the wedding! I shoudl start growin it out so I can have that perfect updo!" It was like a little moment of panic. But the more I thought about it, the more I thought, "You know what? No. This short hair is so much of who I am now. To have long hair juts for the wedding wouldn't feel natural." So...it's staying short.

And yet, I'm still considering the PWC. I'm thinking about going even shorter than it is. Something like this:
WHAT?!?!? Like I said, I'm considerig it. I doubt that I'll have the nerve to go through with it. Plus, since my hair is naturally curl-vy (it's not quite curly but it's definitely more than wavy). I'm not sure this cut would stand up to the weird shapes my hair tends to take. Unless I straighten it every day, which I'm not totally sold on doing. Straightening my hair adds about 20 minutes to my morning routine and, um, I like to sleep. So the PWC may not be a part of my after-wedding ritual, as it seems to be for many brides out there. But we'll see. I may surprise all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment