Wednesday, June 15, 2011

High School Besties

This weekend I'm getting together with my high school besties (many of whom were in my wedding party).  I am so excited to see them - I haven't seen most of them since our wedding, and the others I haven't seen since a year ago!  Wow!  Friday night the plan is to go to the Hotel Hershey for jazz on the veranda.  Then on Saturday we're having a big brunch with all our moms and kids (except, unfortunately, for my mom, who is away for a work conference - boo!).

We've all been friends since high school, which means that our moms have watched us all grow up, go to college, get jobs, get married, have kids...all that good stuff.  They've supported us and loved us and laughed with us and cried with us.  But - how do I put this delicatly - some of them have done that better than others. 

6 years ago, when our friend Abriel got married, my parents and our friend Tina's parents were invited to her wedding.  Our friend Mel's parents weren't.  It caused a little bit of tension, but everyone kind of got over it.  There's a lot of history there, that I don't really want to get into.  Nonetheless, for our wedding, we invited Abriel's mom and stepdad and Tina's parents.  Mel's parents were not invited.

So imagine my surprise when we were dismissing our guests after the wedding ceremony, and I was suddenly face-to-face with Mel's mom.  I didn't even know what to say to her.  I almost couldn't even face her.  I mean, I get it - technically, a wedding is a church service and open to the public.  Any stranger off the street could walk in and attend.  That's not the point.  The point is, she knew she wasn't invited, she probably knew that at least Abriel's were, and yet she showed up anyway.  I had to hug her and say thanks for coming.  It was awkward.  At the moment, I was too distracted and busy to really bother with feeling anything about it, but afterwards, I was pissed.  Who does that?  She had to know it would make me feel bad.

Anyway, she will obviously be there on Saturday and I'm a little anxious about it.  The best thing, I know, is to just ignore it and pretend it never happened.  But I have never liked this woman, and this makes me like her less.  I know it's awful to say that, but, like I said, there's a lot of history there, both in the way she's treated Mel and the way she's treated me.  It's hard for me to blow this off.  Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. UGH she is immature for showing up on your wedding day..she had to have known it would strike a sore spot and or be awkward for you. Just be cordial to her when you see her, no need to bring up what happened on your wedding day.

    ReplyDelete