Monday, May 2, 2011

Ding Dong! The Monster's Dead!

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice note saying I approved of it.  (Mark Twain)

(source)
Rot in hell, bin Laden.

Here's the thing, though.  Already.  Not 12 hours after US Forces killed Osama bin Laden at his hideout in Pakistan, people are making it political.  I've seen lots of snarky comments from my facebook friends from both sides of the political spectrum: "Obama did what Bush couldn't...again" (democrat) and "Obama will be sure to take credit for the war and killing bin Laden" (republican). 

This morning when I was watching the news, the state representative for New York was interviewed on The Today Show.  He made a comment in which he said, "I would just like to say, as a Republican, that President Obama did an excellent job..." I'm paraphrasing a bit, but he definitely said "as a Republican."  Why?  Why not "as a human being" or "as a citizen of the planet Earth"?  "As a Republican" has no place in that statement. 

Why must EVERYTHING turn into politics?  The monster is dead.  Who cares who's responsible?  Who cares who started the war or gave the order or whatever else?  He's dead.  Gone.  The man responsible for taking thousands of innocent lives on 9/11 is no more.  Leave politics out of it and just be glad.  Justice is done.

In any case, many many many thanks to our men and women in uniform. 

3 comments:

  1. I agree; I'm not sure why we can't be citizens first. The men and women in uniform represent the United States, not a political party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more. I was disheartened to see how many of my own friends were trashing our President after this, for whatever reason. This should have Republicans and Democrats joining together but it seems the opposite is happening.

    Btw, I found you on the blogroll for Wine and Cheese, Please. You can check out my blog at http://www.mynext30yrs.com

    ReplyDelete