Saturday, March 19, 2011

30 Days of Truth - Day 19

Day 01 → Something you hate about yourself.
Day 02 → Something you love about yourself.
Day 03 → Something you have to forgive yourself for.
Day 04 → Something you have to forgive someone for.
Day 05 → Something you hope to do in your life.
Day 06 → Something you hope you never have to do.
Day 07 → Someone who has made your life worth living for.
Day 08 → Someone who made your life hell, or treated you like shit.
Day 09 → Someone you didn’t want to let go, but just drifted.
Day 10 → Someone you need to let go, or wish you didn’t know.
Day 11 → Something people seem to compliment you the most on.
Day 12 → Something you never get compliments on.
Day 13 → A band or artist that has gotten you through some tough ass days. (write a letter.)
Day 14 → A hero that has let you down. (letter)
Day 15 → Something or someone you couldn’t live without, because you’ve tried living without it.
Day 16 → Someone or something you definitely could live without.
Day 17 → A book you’ve read that changed your views on something.
Day 18 → Your views on gay marriage.
Day 19 → What do you think of religion? Or what do you think of politics?
Day 20 → Your views on drugs and alcohol.
Day 21 → (scenario) Your best friend is in a car accident and you two got into a fight an hour before. What do you do?
Day 22 → Something you wish you hadn’t done in your life.
Day 23 → Something you wish you had done in your life.
Day 24 → Make a playlist to someone, and explain why you chose all the songs. (Just post the titles and artists and letter)
Day 25 → The reason you believe you’re still alive today.
Day 26 → Have you ever thought about giving up on life? If so, when and why?
Day 27 → What’s the best thing going for you right now?
Day 28 → What if you were pregnant or got someone pregnant, what would you do?
Day 29 → Something you hope to change about yourself. And why.
Day 30 → A letter to yourself, tell yourself EVERYTHING you love about yourself

Day 19 → What do you think of religion? Or what do you think of politics?

I don't really have a religion, per se.  I mean, I suppose I'd be considered Lutheran, as that is the religion of my mother and the religion of the church that I do attend, on the rare occasions that I attend.  But do I really believe in the teachings of that religion?  I don't really know, to be honest.  I did not grow up going to church, like so many of my friends.  I know the basics - Jesus Christ was born on Christmas, in a manger in a stable in Bethlehem; he died on Good Friday and rose from the dead on Easter Sunday.  But, for example, when I was skimming through the reading group discussion guide for Water For Elephants and they said that Jacob's story mirrored the Bible story of Jacob...yeah, I have no idea what they're talking about.  I don't know those stories.  And, honestly, I think I turned out pretty great.  Matt and I have talked about finding a church so that we'll have somewhere to take our kids.  He thinks it's important because it'll teach them about sinning and all the stuff he grew up with in the Catholic Church.  He says when he was growing up, he didn't do bad things because he was told he'd go to Hell if he did.  I don't like that.  I disagree with those reasons.  I didn't go to church but I knew right from wrong and I knew that doing bad things came with consequences.  I want to find a church, but not to teach our kids about sinning.  I just think that church provides a sense of community and stability.  So...it's a work in progress.

As for politics, I think I'd mostly consider myself Democrat.  There are definitely issues where I lean more conservative, if not flat-out Republican.  But for the most part, I find myself falling on the liberal side of the line.  I think that the level of fighting that has been happening recently in politics is terribly upsetting.  It's fighting for the sake of fighting, not for the sake of an issue.  Republicans are opposing Democrats' ideas (and vice versa) just because they're Democrats', not because they're "bad" ideas.  It's got to stop.  This country is in a bad way, and all this fighting that's happening is not going to make things any better. 

So that's where I am.  Religion and politics.  They're sticky subjects, of course.  And I don't think anyone ever agrees 100%.  But I think if you're going to discuss it, you should be an adult about it and accept that people are going to disagree with you.  And just deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment