Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sleep Issues

I have problems sleeping.  I'm a light sleeper, for one.  Even small noises wake me up.  Matt jokes that a mouse could fart in the house next door, and I would wake up.  We run a fan in our bedroom for white noise, and that helps to drown out other noises.  When we sleep somewhere and don't have a fan?  Big issues. 

I also have a hard time shutting off my brain.  Many nights I lie in bed thinking about all the random stuff in my life.  Work is a big problem: Did I remember to set up the ambulacne?  Did I do the patient justice?  Did I document so that the doctors and on-call social worker know what's happening?  Crazy. 

But probably the biggest problem is Matt.  Yes, my husband.  He's a snorer.  And a twitcher.  And if he's been drinking?  Ugh, forget it. 
(source)
We've tried everything.  Changing pillows.  Nasal spray.  The stop-snoring throat spray.  Breathe right strips.  When he starts snoring, I make him roll onto his side.  Sometimes that helps.  But not always.  He always tells me to wear earplugs but I get up first in the morning - if I wear earplugs, I won't hear my alarm go off.  He's in denial.  He swears he doesn't snore.  Why would I make that up?  I've even had to leave our bedroom and sleep in our guest room.  I hate it.  I've tried to get him to agree to talk to his doctor about it or go to a sleep study.  His dad and brothers all snore, too, and his younger brother recently got a sleep study and got a c-pap; he's stopped snoring and feels better than he has in a long time.  But Matt refuses to acknowledge the issue.  And I'm losing sleep.  I don't really know what to do.  Thoughts?  Suggestions? 

2 comments:

  1. I take half a tab of melatonin when I can't sleep. It doesn't make me feel like a trainwreck the next day, and it helps me stay asleep through the night. I like it because it's not a "sleep drug" exactly, and it's super cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I take 1mg of melatonin every night. Every. Night.

    ReplyDelete