Sunday, July 17, 2011

Weekend Update

You guys.  I don't know about you, but I had a pretty kick-ass weekend!  My weekend started on Thursday night, with a ride on the Broad Street Line subway down to South Philly.  I met up with Matt, my mom, my stepdad, my sister, and my brother-in-law at Suburban Station, then we all hopped on the subway.  Once we got to AT&T station (so stupid that they bought the station and named it after themselves), we stopped off to tailgate for a bit before heading into the stadium.  Anthony (my brother-in-law) had brought a cooler filled with Jose Cuervo margarita, Harpoon IPA, and some pretzels.  So we had a few drinks, then headed in.

Matt had gotten me tickets to see them for Christmas in 2009.  The show was originally scheduled for July 12, 2010.  But then Bono hurt his back, so the show was postponed for a year.  My parents, not knowing that Matt had gotten me tickets, also got us tickets for Christmas that year.  Club seats.  So, we sold our tickets to my sister and Anthony and went to the club seats with my parents.

Matt, Anthony, and the random dude who was already toasted

Mom, Jeff, and Callie



The concert was awesome!  One of the best shows I've ever seen.  High energy, a good mix of old and new songs.  See for yourself - here's the setlist:

Even Better Than the Real Thing > I Will Follow > Mysterious Ways > Until the End of the World/Where Have All the Flowers Gone? > Get On Your Boots > Magnificent > I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For/The Promised Land > Stay (Faraway, So Close) > Beautiful Day/Space Oddity > Elevation > Pride (In the Name of Love) > Miss Sarajevo > Zooropa > City of Blinding Light > Vertigo/It's Only Rock and Roll (But I Like It) > Miss You > I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight/Discotheque/Life During Wartime/Psycho Killer > Sunday Bloody Sunday > Scarlet > Walk On
Encore: One > Halleluja > Where the Streets Have No Name > Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me > With or Without You > Moment of Surrender > Happy Birthday

I'm not sure what the story is behind Happy Birthday.  We started heading out after With or Without You.  The show was great.  For Beautiful Day, they actually had some footage patched in from the space shuttle.  Mark Kelly (the husband of Arizona Senator Gabrielle Giffords, who was shot in Tuscon last year) said a few things, and "sang" along to the lyrics of Beautiful Day.  It was really cool.

Interpol

Sunset at the Linc


The Edge!

Captain Mark Kelly.  Right here, he was saying, "Tell my wife I love her..."


During "Walk On," volunteers from Amnesty International came on with lanterns

Friday morning, we got up and had breakfast.  Matt and I  made bacon, egg, and cheese sandwiches.  They were delish!  At around 10:45, we (me, Matt, my mom, and my stepdad) hit the road to get in line for the 12:15 showing of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 at the King of Prussia IMAX.  I had purchased our tickets about a month ago on Fandango, so all I had to do was go to one of the Fandango stands and print our tickets.  Thank goodness we got there when we did, because an hour before the show, the line was already about 100 people deep!

from google

The movie was absolutely fantastic.  Wrapped things up beautifully.  The special effects were incredible.  I was teary-eyed throughout much of the movie.  I just can't believe it's ending!  Just like in the books, they brought the story full circle.  I definitely think this movie was the best of them all.

Afterwards, Matt and I headed home to change and then took the train to meet my sister and Anthony for dinner and a night out.  We had dinner at Ladder 15, in Center City, then went to the Continental rooftop bar for a couple drinks.  One of Callie's friends from high school met up with us there, and then we all went down to this great little dive bar in South Philly called Bob and Barbara's.  The drinks were super cheap, and they had a live jazz band.  It was a lot of fun.  Another one of Callie's friends met up us there, too.  It was really fun to see those guys and catch up with them.  I watched all of them grow up, so it's fun to still be able to keep track of them every now and then.

Saturday morning Callie and Anthony went home, and Matt and I drove up to Perkiomenville to celebrate my stepdad's brother's retirement and 40th wedding anniversary.  It was fun to see the family and catch up with everyone.  We hardly ever get to see them, so it's nice to get to spend some time and see all the kiddos!  Last night we were supposed to go see Sixteen Candles at the Keswick Theater, but we were both so pooped, we just stayed home and watched the season premier of Rescue Me.  Do you guys watch that show?  You should.  It's great.

from google
This morning we are being super lazy, and eventually I'm going to get started on some chores (I need to do laundry desperately) and some errands.  All in all, a really great weekend.

Hope you guys all had good ones, too!

1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic weekend! I never think I'm a huge fan of U2, but then I remember how many old songs I love. I can't believe what they incorporated into the show. Space shuttle? Mark Kelly? Amnesty International? How awesome! I saw Harry Potter on Saturday and really loved it too. I cried at the end.

    ReplyDelete